Some upcoming events and news to digest! If you missed the Booster meeting last week, much of this was covered that evening. There is quite a bit so only read what refers to your student (this will also be in the newsletter coming out at the end of this week). Thank you!!!
Women's Chorale and Treble Choir families should have received a schedule and permission slip to sign. Please have that returned by the end of the day Wednesday, Feb. 1st or at least by Thurs. morning Feb. 2nd before we leave. Girls will need $5-10 for lunch (fast food) and girls are to wear attire considered Professional dress for festival (think business professional!)
SOLO/ENSEMBLE CONTEST-SAT. MARCH 4 MINOOKA COMMUNITY HS 9am-3pm
1) Students in the contest have signed up and have been registered for their events.
2) Students who are not performing that day, will be required to observe for one hour and work at the contest for one hour. Students will be assigned times but have been encouraged to communicate what parts of the day works best for their schedule.
3) This contest, for band and choir, is an assessment activity, so all students are being asked to be involved and will be assessed on their performance
4) Students need to get their music to their accompanist for the contest this next week.
5) Students are to have decided by this week about how ($5 for solos and $10 for ensemble) to pay for their events, either using their student account or paying directly. Students will also start signing up for practices with Mr. Benware and Mrs. Frost and other accompanists to prepare them for that day.
6) Contest times should be forthcoming in a couple weeks.
7) Please have students come with music numbered, come early to their event, dress nicely (no jeans or tennies!), and have paid their accompanists for practicing ($40) and accompanying them for the day. Varsity Madrigals will also be singing that day.
8) Best of the day awards will be also be handed out for each room.
SPRING TOUR UPDATES
Tour Travel Insurance
An option for peace of mind, if you wish, is to purchase Travel Insurance. Please see the attached form if you wish to purchase this. Since our trip costs between $801-$1000 dollars, your expense for coverage is $45 and it has varying coverages for events that could occur along the way or on our tour. This will NOT be able to be taken out of you students account and would have to come directly from you to cover this cost. Also please note, any money received back from the insurance would go directly back into the student account and not go to the parents. Please let us know by our March 21st meeting if you intend to purchase.
For groups of children, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card. Passports are also accepted so please start getting any of these put together before the Mar. 21 meeting.
Tour Mandatory Meetings –Tues, Mar. 21st Career Center Meeting will start (8pm) immediately after our scheduled Booster meeting at 7pm.
1. Each student traveling and at least 1 parent must be there at the meeting for the student to travel. Discipline packets will be gone over, signatures will need to occur, final itinerary, final packing lists, Rooming lists and "need to knows" will happen that evening. A mandatory rehearsal for students for our tour choirs will occur before the meeting.
2. Other items included that night: Insurance, Bus seats, hotel room sign-ups, itinerary updates, basic rules and packing tips, and tour shirt information.
3. Chaperone meeting is to occur BEFORE the Booster meeting at 6pm that evening in the Choir Room.
1. Medication needs for students need to be dropped off in March and early April to the Central Nurse before or before the Easter weekend in April.
-Medical forms for the trip will be due by that March 21 evening and other important tour information will be discussed. Medical forms should begin to be filled out now (even if you filled some out early in the year as some information may have changed and the trip takes place after school is officially over so families are required to fill out new forms). Students have been picking up hard copies to bring home but I can e-mail you any forms you may need as well. Please observe the checklist form to check that all are completed. -Discussion on medicine drop-off will also be discussed.
Rehearsals for tour participants will occur on Tues. 3/21 from 7:15-8:00pm (right before mandatory tour meeting) and on Tues. 4/18 6:15-6:50pm (kids are checking in luggage right before from 5:15-6:15 and then we have a Booster meeting at 7:00). Please note these on your calendar!! Thanks!
Tour Luggage Drop-off
Students going on tour will need to drop off their luggage the night before our tour on Tues. April 18th between 5:15pm and 6:15pm to be checked in by their chaperone that evening by the music hallway. Luggage will be locked up in various rooms and retrieved the next afternoon when we load the buses to travel. Luggage should be tagged with names and address of student and each student may bring one extra backpack with them on tour.
Performance attire will be loaded into different luggage.
Please let me know by TODAY if there are any dietary restrictions (gluten-free, allergies, etc.) that your student may have that we should communicate to the Travel company ahead of time. The chaperones and students were already given the form to fill out for me but please e-mail me back just in case to make sure everyone is covered on this!
Final Tour payment–$437 for students left so far–Due Tues. Feb. 28th
This adjusted amount will be figured out in early February and will be communicated to the students and parents at that time. Once we receive the final invoice with the adjusted amount (we need to cover a couple triple rooms instead of quads and a $5 cleaning fee) we will let you know.
You're options to pay are: 1) Pay online at the MCHS Webstore starting hopefully in the next week once we receive our invoice. We are about to have this run live so you can pay with credit or debit card options. 2) You can have the money taken out your student Choir Account or write a check for the amount needed to: MCHS Choir Boosters. Slips will go home with your student a week or two before the deadline so you should have received them to see if you owe a payment for this last payment. The amount left in your student's account will also be listed. Feel free to e-mail myself or Molly Babyak (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any tour payment questions.
Cell phone plans
Please check your cell phone providers plan to make sure that your son/daughters cell phones will work in Canada, as we will be relying at times to communicate information and check-ins by contacting the students through their phones.